UNDERSTANDING THE CHANGING NEEDS OF SINGAPORE’S OLDER POPULATION
PI: Dr Belinda Yuen (LKYCIC, SUTD)
Co-PI: Dr Yuen Chau (EPD, SUTD)
Team: Ms Parvathi Sanjeev Nair, Ms Penny Kong, Ms Sanjana Viswanath
Team: (LKYCIC, SUTD)
A key challenge facing cities is the question of how we reshape the built environment to accommodate the evolving needs of a changing demographic. How we plan and design the built environment, from housing to neighbourhoods can determine levels of independence, dignity and self-respect in later life. Getting these spaces right is a crucial factor to achieving successful ageing. This inaugural project investigates the changing needs and lived experiences of Singapore’s older population in two key spaces – housing (live) and recreation (play). It seeks to understand the subjective and objective older person-space relationships using a multi-dimensional methodological approach that involves both quantitative and qualitative, traditional instrumentation as well as recent development in mobile crowdsourcing.
During the research process, a body of literature and case studies has been accumulated on how Singapore and other cities are addressing the housing and recreation needs of older populations. These are summarised in the ongoing LLMAU Webpost Notes Series – Housing for Older Population and Recreational Spaces for Older Population. Findings and insights developed through the research process support the need for a greater understanding of the older person’s perceptions of local neighbourhoods and the importance of engaging older people in the co-creation of design interventions.
1 October 2013STATUS
CompletedPARTNERS AND SPONSORS
Lee Li Ming
Publications and Presentations:
- Yuen, Belinda. (2021). Neighbourhoods for an ageing population in Singapore. In Robyn Bartel and Jennifer Carter (Ed.) Handbook on Space, Place and Law, Edward Elgar Publishing
- Yuen, Belinda. (2019, July) Sensing older people’s lived experiences through visual images in Singapore, AESOP Annual Congress 2019, Venice, Italy.
- Yuen, Belinda. (2019, May) Amenities in senior housing, ADB-NDRC Workshop on Innovative Operations in Elderly Care in PRC,Beijing, China (invited speaker).
- Yuen, Belinda. (2019) Moving towards age-inclusive public housing in Singapore, Urban Research and Practice 12(1):84-98
- Marakkalage, Hasala., Sarica, Serhad., Lau, Pik Lik Billy., Viswanath, Balasubramaniam., Yuen, Chau,. Yuen, Belinda., Luo, Jianxi and Nayak, Richi. (2019) Understanding the lifestyle of older population: Mobile crowdsourcing approach, IEEE Transactions on Computational Social Systems 6(1):82-95
- Yuen, Belinda. (2019) (ed) Ageing and the Built Environment in Singapore, Springer.
- Yuen, Belinda. (2018, Nov). Retooling the housing environment for ageing in Singapore, ADB Tongji Workshop on Developing Healthy and Age-friendly Cities in the PRC: From Planning to Practice, Shanghai, China (invited)
- Yuen, Belinda. (2018, Oct). Enabling Aging-in-place in Singapore, 2018 International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU) Ageing, Longevity and Health Conference, Singapore (invited)
- Yuen, Belinda. (2018, Feb). Growing older in Singapore public housing, International Research Forum on Multi-owned Properties, Melbourne, Australia (invited)
- Yuen, Chau. (2017, Oct). Understanding the Lifestyle of Older Population in Singapore: Mobile Crowdsensing Approach, International Ageing Urbanism Colloquium 2017, Singapore
- Lane, Anna. (2017, Oct). Neighbourhood Social Capital and Quality of Life, International Ageing Urbanism Colloquium, Singapore
- Yuen, Belinda. (2017, Jul), Retooling neighbourhoods for older people in Singapore, AESOP 2017 Conference, Lisbon, Portugal
- Yuen, Belinda. (2017, Jun). Age-friendly housing+ in Singapore, ADB Aging Asia and the Pacific, Manila, Philippines (invited)
- Marrakkalage, Hasala., Lau, Pik Lik Billy., Kadaba, Viswanath Sanjana., Thirunavukarasu, Balasubramaniam., Yuen, Chau., Yuen, Belinda., Nayak, Richi. “Identifying Points of Interest for Elderly in Singapore through Mobile Crowdsensing”, 6th International Conference on Smart Cities and Green ICT Systems (Smartgreen) 2017.
- Lau, Billy Pik Lik., Marakkalage, Sumudu Hasala., Viswanath, Sanjana Kadaba., Balasubramaniam, Thirunavukarasu., Yuen, Chau., Yuen, Belinda., and Nayak, Richi. (2017, Mar) Extracting point of interest and classifying environment for low sampling crowd sensing smartphone sensor data, CASPer 2017: The 4th IEEE PerCom International Workshop on Crowd Assisted Sensing, Pervasive Systems and Communications, Hawaii, USA.
- Yuen, Belinda., and Soh, Emily. (2017). Housing for Older People in Singapore: An Annotated Bibliography, Springer.
- Yuen, Belinda. (2016, Nov). Planning a city for all ages in Singapore, Commonwealth Association of Planners Conference 2016, Fiji.
- Yuen, Belinda. (2015, Dec). The silver opportunity in leisure. 6th Asian City Forum: City-Leisure-Future, Ningbo, China. (invited)
- Yuen, Belinda. (2015, Oct). To be inclusive is to be age-ready: Perspective from Singapore. 51st ISOCARP Congress, Brussels-Rotterdam.
- Nair, Parvathi. (2015, Sep). How age-Friendly is your urban environment? Capstone Presentation School of Social Sciences, Singapore Management University, Singapore. (invited)
- Yuen, Belinda. (2015, Jul). How age friendly is your dwelling? National Urban Sustainability R&D Conference, Singapore. (invited)
- Yuen, Belinda., and Seetharam, K. E. (2015). Building age-friendly cities in ageing Asian tigers. ISOCARP Review 11:202-217.
- Viswanath, Sanjana Kadaba., Yuen, Chau., Ku, Xuefang., and Liu, Xiang. (2014, Oct). Smart tourist – passive mobility tracking through .mobile application. IoT Mobility Conference, Rome, Italy.
- Yuen, Belinda. (2014, Oct). Urban Futures of Asian Cities. USAID-UNDP Asia Urban Futures Workshop: Shaping Solutions to the Challenges of Tomorrow for Asia’s Cities, Bangkok, Thailand. (invited)