FUTURE OF CITIES:
LIVING WITH TECHNOLOGY – FUTURE OF WORK, EDUCATION, AND HEALTHCARE
PI: Mr Poon King Wang (LKYCIC, SUTD)
Co-PIs: Dr Hyowon Lee (ISTD, SUTD), Dr Lim Wee Kiat (NTU), Dr Mohan Rajesh Elara (EPD, SUTD)
Team: Dr Marie Chae Youngjin, Ms Gayathri Balasubramanian, Mr Aaron Yong, Mr Raymond Yeong
Team: (LKYCIC, SUTD)
Author and activist Jane Jacobs wrote that “[c]ities have the capability of providing something for everybody, only because, and only when, they are created by everybody.” In and through digital technologies, cities now have that capability, and everybody can create. This transforms urban innovation and our future. We now digitally connect and interact in new ways within the city, across cities, and with the world. Cities now transcend the physical.
That is why we focus on the future of work, education, and healthcare. Each is a social institution where many of our interactions and connections are forged. They also build the human capabilities that enable people to live flourishing lives. They shape so much of who we are and what we do in cities. Moreover, advanced digital technologies are raising pressing questions about the future of work, education and healthcare. Will jobs be created or destroyed? Will education and healthcare be disrupted? Will there be new digital divides? These questions need answers. How we answer them determines the future of our citizens and cities.
3 November 2014STATUS
The research findings have been published as book Living Digital 2040: Future of Work, Education, and Healthcare. Additional background on our approaches can be found at https://livingdigital2040.com.
- Balasubramanian, G., Lee, H., Poon, K. W., Lim, W. K., & Yong, W. K. (2017, July). Towards establishing design principles for balancing usability and maintaining cognitive abilities. In International Conference of Design, User Experience, and Usability (pp. 3-18). Springer, Cham.
- Poon, K.W., Youngjin Chae, Balasubramanian, G., Yong, A., Tay, E. (2016). Lesson Design Map. Economics and Society 1 — Man and Environment, 26-31
- Poon, K.W., Lim, W.K., Balasubramanian, G. (2016, Dec). How Professionals Are Refashioning Their Craft Around Computerization: The Case of Accountis, De Lange X Conference on Humans, Machines and Future of Work, United States
- Career 360 Radio interview. FM 89.3. 26 Feb 2018.
- Commentary: Smart Nation a success if it helps Singaporeans tackle everyday challenges. Channel News Asia. 16 August 2017.
- Commentary: Smart Nation 2.0? Three ideas to keep Singapore smart. Channel News Asia. 26 March 2017.
- Singapore researchers push frontiers of flexible electronics. Straits Times. 27 January 2017.
- In search of the smart shirt. Tabla. 6 October 2016.
- It’s about people, ultimately. Business Times. August 4, 2015