Yuen, Belinda and Soh, Emily
Lee Kuan Yew Centre for Innovative Cities and the Centre for Liveable Cities
LKYCIC WORKING PAPER SERIES
The LKYCIC Working Paper Series is intended for sharing new and exciting research, reporting preliminary research results and ideas so as to stimulate critical discourse on innovative cities. These can be research in progress or thought pieces and should reference the following author guidelines. Authors interested in contributing original submissions for this series should contact email@example.com for more information.
Dr. Kotkin reviews the concept of “living well” in the context of what makes a city great. He explores these issues in the “post‐familial city” and the implications on equality, sustainability and happiness. Dr. Kotkin is a Distinguished Presidential Fellow in Urban Futures at Chapman University and the Executive Editor of New Geography. Download the working paper here.
The Planning of a City-State provides a comprehensive overview of how the modern city‐state that Singapore is today came to be through planning for housing, transport, environment and heritage. This working paper is authored by Peter Ho, Chairman of the Singapore's Urban Redevelopment Authority. Download the working paper here.
- Yuen,B. (forthcoming) Rethinking housing in TSAO Foundation State of Ageing. Singapore: World Scientific
- Yuen, B., & Kumssa, A. (2016). Transition towards sustainable urbanisation in Asia and Africa. In H.G. Brauch et al (Eds.), Handbook on Sustainability Transition and Sustainable Peace. London: Springer.
- Yuen, B. (2013). Migration and slums in urban Asia. In S. Chatterjee (Ed.), Ending Asian Deprivations: Compulsions for a Fair, Prosperous and Equitable Asia (pp. 220-237). London: Routledge.
- Yuen, B. (2013). Urban regeneration in Asia: Mega projects and heritage conservation. In M.E. Leary & J. McCarthy (Eds.), Handbook on Urban Regeneration (pp. 127-137). London: Routledge.
- Lane, A.P., Windsor, T., Andel, R., & Luszcz, M. (2017). Is Occupational Complexity Associated with Cognitive Performance or Decline? Results from the Australian Longitudinal Study of Ageing. Gerontology, DOI: 10.1159/000
- Riley, E., Harris, P., Kent, J., Sainsbury, P., Lane, A., & Baum, F. (2017). Including Health in Environmental Assessments of Major Transport Infrastructure Projects: A Documentary Analysis. International Journal of Health Policy and Management. DOI, 10.15171/ijhpm.2017.55
- Lawless, A., Lane, A., Lewis, F., Baum, F., & Harris, P. (2017). Social determinants of health and local government: understanding and uptake of ideas in two Australian states. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health 41(2), 204-209
- Poon, K.W., Youngjin Chae, Balasubramanian, G., Yong, A., Tay, E. (2016). Lesson Design Map. Economics and Society 1 — Man and Environment, 26-31
- Maynard, G., & Ong, C. (2016). Economic Dependency and HIV/AIDS Prevalence in the Developing World: A Comparative, Longitudinal Analysis. Sociological Inquiry (refereed), 86, 189-215
- Kim, H. (2015). Walking distance, route choice, and activities while walking: A record of following pedestrians from transit stations in the San Francisco Bay area. Urban Design International 20(2), 144-157
- Yuen, B., & Seetharam, K. E. (2015). Building age-friendly cities in ageing Asian tigers. ISOCARP Review 11:202-217.
- Debnath, A.K., Chin, H.C., Haque M.M., & Yuen, B. (2014). A methodological framework for benchmarking smart transport cities. Cities 37, 47-56
- Yuen, B. (2013). Challenges and opportunities of providing efficient urban services. Regional Development Dialogue 34(2), 37-52
- Yuen, B. (2017, Jul) Retooling neighbourhoods for older people in Singapore, AESOP 2017 Conference, Lisbon, Portugal
- Chan, H.C. (2017, Jul). Shakeup without Trump: Leadership in an Age of Upheaval, Far East Organization Leadership Speaker Series (invited, speaker)
- Chan, H.C. (2017, Jun). Singapore is Not an Island – Views on Singapore Foreign Policy, RSIS Distinguised Book Launch by Ambassador Bilahari Kausikan, Ambassador-at-Large, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Singapore (invited, panel speaker)
- Chan, H.C. (2017, Jun). Lockheed Martin Shangri-la Dialogue Roundtable, The IISS Shangri-La Dialogue, The Asia Security Summit, Singapore (invited)
- Yuen, B. (2017, Jun) Building capacity for resilient Singapore, UNDP Asia Forum on the Role of Local and Urban Governments in Building Sustainable and Resilient Cities and Rural Areas, Haiyang, China (invited)
- Yuen, B. (2017, Jun) Age-friendly housing+ in Singapore, ADB Aging Asia and the Pacific, Manila, Philippines (invited)
- Yuen, B. (2017, Jun). Social sustainability of Singapore neighbourhoods, World Sustainable Built Environment 2017 Conference, Hong Kong (invited)
- Chan, H.C. (2017, May). Mastering the Art of Professional Communication, CELC Oral Communication Camp 2017, NUS (invited, panel speaker)
- Chan, H.C. (2017, Apr). Transforming the Urban Landscape, Milken Institute Global Conference 2017, Los Angeles (invited, panel speaker)
- Hasala M.S., Lik B. L. P., Kadaba V. S., Thirunavukarasu B., Yuen C., Yuen B., Nayak R. (2017, Apr). Identifying Points of Interest for Elderly in Singapore through Mobile Crowdsensing, 6th International Conference on Smart Cities and Green ICT Systems
- Chan, H.C. (2017, Mar). Asian views on US role in Asia and the future of the re-balance in Singapore, The Asia Foundation, Launch of book, Singapore (invited, speaker)
- Lau, B. P. L., Marakkalage, S. H., Viswanath, S. K.,Balasubramaniam, T., Yuen, C., Yuen, B. and Nayak, R. (2017, Mar). Extracting point of interest and classifying environment for low sampling crowd sensing smartphone sensor data, CASPer 2017: The 4th IEEE PerCom International Workshop on Crowd Assisted Sensing, Pervasive Systems and Communications, Hawaii, USA.
- Chan, H.C. (2017, Feb). Unintended Consequences in Singapore, Behavioural Sciences Institute Conference 2017, Singapore (invited, panel speaker)
- Chan, H.C. (2017, Feb). Harmony in Diversity – Arts, Culture and Language, International Women’s Forum (IWF) 20th Anniversary Celebration 2017, Singapore (invited, panel speaker)
- Powers, J. (2017, Jan). International Roundtable on The Future of the Economy, Singapore (invited, speaker)
- Chan, H.C. (2016, Dec). World Review 2016. Channel NewsAsia. (invited, panel speaker)
- Chan, H.C. (2016, Dec). The making of a Smart Nation, Berlin Dialogue Platform Smart Cities. (invited, keynote speaker)
- Poon, K.W., Lim, W.K., Balasubramanian, G. (2016, Dec). How Professionals Are Refashioning Their Craft Around Computerization: The Case of Accountis, De Lange X Conference on Humans, Machines and Future of Work, United States
- Chan, H.C. (2016, Nov). U.S Presidential Elections. IPS Corporate Associates Programme – Dialogue with Steve Clemons. (invited, speaker)
- Yuen, B. (2016, Nov). Planning a city for all ages in Singapore, Commonwealth Association of Planners Conference, Fiji
- Cheah, L. (2016, Oct). On the Move in 2040: A Foresight Study on Urban Mobility in Singapore. LTA-UITP Singapore International Transport Congress and Exhibition, Singapore.
- Powers, J. (2016, Jul). Thoughts on Innovation Ecosystems and Evidence from The Future of the Economy Study under the Future of Cities Project. IPS-CFE Conference on the Future Economy of Singapore, Singapore. (invited)
- Chan, H.C. (2016, Jun). Will Geoeconomics trump Geopolitics. The London Conference. (invited, panel speaker)
- Chan, H.C. (2016, Jun). International Conference SUTD on Cities and Citizenships. (invited, speaker for opening remarks)
- Chan, H.C. (2016, Jun). The Power and Limitations of Global Cities. Chicago Forum on Global Cities. (invited, speaker)
- Youngjin Chae. (2016, May). Flexible Solar Textiles with Style for Future Smart Clothing System, Fiber Society Conference 2016, France
- Zahraei, S. M., C. Choo, W. Cheema, L. Cheah. (2016, Feb). Foresight Study on Singapore Urban Mobility: Methodologies and Preliminary Insights. 2nd Asia-Pacific Conference on Complex Systems Design & Management, Singapore.
- Chan, H.C. (2016, Feb). Future Matters. Behavioural Science Institute (BSI) conference of SMU, Singapore. (invited, speaker)
- Chan, H.C. (2016, Jan). The Future of We. IPS Singapore Perspectives 2016. (invited, panellist)
- Yuen, B. (2015, Dec). The silver opportunity in leisure. 6th Asian City Forum: City-Leisure-Future, Ningbo, China. (invited)
- Yuen, B. (2015, Dec). Seniors Parks: The Next Planning Frontier. NParks CUGE Research Seminar, Singapore. (invited, keynote address)
- Chan, H.C. (2015, Nov). Cities Roundtable, Singapore. (invited, keynote address)
- Chan, H.C. (2015, Nov). Excellence and Equal Access in Future Learning. Nobel Prize Series Conference. (invited, panel speaker)
- Yuen, B. (2015, Oct). To be inclusive is to be age-ready: Perspective from Singapore. 51st ISOCARP Congress, Brussels-Rotterdam.
- Chan, H.C. (2015, Oct). Integration Seminar. (invited, keynote address)
- Nair, P. (2015, Sep). How age-Friendly is your urban environment? Capstone Presentation School of Social Sciences, Singapore Management University, Singapore. (invited)
- Chan, H.C. (2015, Sep). What Makes a City Smart. Commonwealth Study Leaders conference. (invited, speaker)
- Chan, H.C. (2015, Jul). Singapore at 50: What lies ahead. IPS-LKYSPP-NUS Conference, Singapore. (invited)
- Chan, H.C. (2015, Jul). Foresight Conference, Singapore. (invited)
- Chan, H.C. (2015, Jul). The Future of Cities. Urban Sustainability R&D Congress, Singapore. (invited, keynote speaker)
- Yuen, B. (2015, Jul). How age friendly is your dwelling? Urban Sustainability R&D Conference, Singapore. (invited)
- Chan, H.C. (2015, Jun). World Cities Summit Mayors Forum, New York, United States.
- Yuen, B. (2015, Jun). Adaptive strategies for climate resilient society in Singapore. Regional Workshop for Capacity Development on Low Carbon and Resilient Society in Southeast Asia Countries, Bangkok, Thailand. (invited)
- Yuen, B. (2015, May). The multiple transformations of public housing in Singapore. The Future of Public Housing Workshop, UBC, Vancouver, Canada. (invited)
- Yuen, B. (2015, May). Intensification: Smart urbanisation development. FIABCI 66th World Real Estate Congress, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. (invited)
- Kim, H. (2015). Climate-Responsive Urban Design: A Wind-Oriented Approach. Lecture at the Graduate School of Environment Studies, Seoul National University, Seoul, South Korea. (invited)
- Lim, W.K. (2015). Enacting Risk Governance in China after the 2003 SARS Crisis. Society on Risk Analysis (SRA) World Congress on Risk, Singapore.
- Lim, W.K. (2015). Enacting Disaster Governance: Governmentalizing Emergency Management in China in the Post-SARS Era. Workshop on Decentralised Disaster Governance in Urbanising Asia, Asia Research Institute, National University of Singapore, Singapore.
- Lim, W.K. (2015). Of Minds, Morals, and Methods: Combining Moral Meteorology and Disaster Relief in the Historiography of China’s Disaster Management. D. Kim Foundation Workshop on the History and Social Study of Science, Technology and Medicine in Asia, Tembusu College, National University of Singapore, Singapore. (invited)
- Viswanath, S. K., Yuen, C., Ku, X., & Liu, X. (2014, Oct). Smart tourist – passive mobility tracking through mobile application. IoT Mobility Conference, Rome, Italy.
- Yuen, B. (2014, Oct). Urban Futures of Asian Cities. USAID-UNDP Asia Urban Futures Workshop: Shaping Solutions to the Challenges of Tomorrow for Asia’s Cities, Bangkok, Thailand. (invited)
- Yuen, B. (2014, May). Eco-city in Singapore. 2014 Spring Symposium of Korea Institute of Ecological Architecture and Environment, Seoul, Republic of Korea. (invited)
- Yuen, B. (2013, Nov). Challenges and opportunities of providing efficient urban services. UNCRD and UN-HABITAT Forum for Mayors and Senior Officials on Sustainable Urban Development and Management in Africa, Nairobi, Kenya. (invited)
- Yuen, B. (2013, Nov). Urban development and management in Asia: Lessons for African cities. UNCRD and UN-HABITAT Forum for Mayors and Senior Officials on Sustainable Urban Development and Management in Africa, Nairobi, Kenya. (invited, keynote address)
- Yuen, B. (2013, Nov). Public housing in Singapore: Transforming lives. 46th EAROPH Regional Conference, Iskandar Malaysia, Malaysia. (invited)
- Yuen, B. (2013, Oct). Eco-city planning: Pure hype or achievable concept. 49th ISOCARP Congress, Brisbane, Australia.