Suhaila is a Research Fellow at the Lee Kuan Yew Centre for Innovative Cities with a strong interest in interdisciplinary and applied social research. Her doctoral thesis integrates various fields to examine mothers’ work-life experiences and paradoxical relationship with technology in times of digital disruption and the pandemic. Her research interests include technology and society; work and family; social stratification; gender issues; intersectional inequalities; and wellbeing.
She is currently supporting Harvey, Samuel and team on the “Future-Ready Society” projects.
- Ph.D., Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences, Singapore University of Technology and Design (2023)
- BA (Hons) Criminology and Security, University of Liverpool (2018)
- Lim, Sun. Sun. & Suhaila, Zainal. Shah. (2022). Bridging Singapore's Digital Divides: Making our Smart Nation Smarter Introduction and Background, In Intan., Azura. Mokhtar. & Yaacob., Ibrahim. (Eds.), Social Context, Policies, And Changes in Singapore: Beyond The First 50 Years, World Scientific Publishing Co Pte Ltd.
- Trenerry, Brigid., Chng, Samuel., Wang, Yang., Zainal Shah, Suhaila., Lim, Sun Sun., Lu, Han Yu., & Oh, Peng Ho. (2021). Preparing workplaces for digital transformation: An integrative review and framework of multi-level factors. Frontiers in Psychology.
- Lim, Sun. Sun. & Suhaila, Zainal. Shah. (2021). Digital media and youth on the margins: growth, belonging and identity in a technologizing world. In: Brites, Maria. José. & Castro, Teresa. (Eds.), Digital citizenship, literacies and contexts of inequalities (pp.59-68), Edições Universitárias Lusófonas.
- Suhaila, Zainal Shah., Trenerry, Brigid., Lim, Sun Sun., (2022, Aug) Exploring the Gendered Burden of Unpaid Care Work in Times of Digitalization and COVID-19 Pandemic. Paper presented at the American Sociological Association (ASA) 117th Annual Meeting, Los Angeles, California.
- Suhaila, Zainal. Shah. & Raghunath, Nilanjan. (2022, Jun). Working from Home and Working Mothers’ Experiences of Work-Life Balance and Boundary Management in Times of Uncertainty. Paper presented at the Work and Family Researchers Network (WFRN) 6th Biennial Conference, New York, USA.
- Yang, Wang., Chng, Samuel., Trenerry, Brigid., Suhaila, Zainal. Shah. & Lim, Sun. Sun. (2021, May) Changing workplace communication with Mobile Technologies: A Case Study of Implementing a Mobile Management System in a Construction Company. Paper presented at 71st Annual International Communication Association Conference.
- Lim, Sun Sun., Trenerry, Brigid., Chng, Samuel, Wang, Yang., Zainal Shah, Suhaila., Lu, Han Yu., & Oh, Peng Ho. (2020, Oct). Mindset, motivation and mentoring: Supporting workers through digital disruptions. Panel Session at the NTUC Labour Research Conference Workers’ Matters: Finding ways to brave the roads ahead, Singapore.
- Trenerry, Brigid., Haridas, Gayathri., Chng, Samuel., Zainal Shah. Suhaila., Oh, Peng Ho., Wang, Yang., & Lim, Sun Sun. (2019, Aug). The Gender Implications of the Future of Work in Singapore. Paper presented at the Gender Summit 16, August 2019, Singapore.