Adjunct Professorial Fellow
PhD, University of Bielefeld, Germany
+65 6303 6882
Dr Sharon Siddique is an independent scholar, and a director of Singapore-based Sreekumar.Siddique & Co., a regional research-consulting firm established in 1993. Prior to this, she was a Senior Research Fellow and Deputy Director of the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies (ISEAS). She was also a founding member of the Malay Heritage Board, which was constituted to manage the Malay Heritage Centre.
At ISEAS she was in charge of coordinating regional research, and also chairman of the Institute’s Publications Unit Review Committee. At Sreekumar.Siddique & Co, she has provided customised research consulting services and private briefings for company boards, senior managers and public policy officials, with a focus on Southeast Asia (see website for more details (www.sreekumar-siddique.com).
Dr Siddique is a noted authority on Islam and socio-cultural change, and has written extensively on social restructuring and urban planning. She has degrees in development sociology, Malay Studies and linguistics from the Universities of Bielefeld (Germany), Singapore and Montana (USA).
Dr Siddique has published extensively in various newspapers, magazines and journals. Some of her most recent books include:
- Mind the Gaps: Singapore Business in China (with Sree Kumar and Yuwa Hedrick Wong - 2005)
- Southeast Asia: The Diversity Dilemma (with Sree Kumar - 2008)
- Singapore Shifting Boundaries: Social Change in the Early 21st Century (co-edited with William Lim and Tan Dan Feng - 2011)
- Batam – Whose Hinterland? The Influence of Politics on Development (with Sree Kumar - 2012)
- Asian Port Cities: Uniting Land and Water Worlds (2017)