Qian HUANG (Cathy)
Title: Research Fellow
Alumni: EdD, The University of Hong Kong
Discipline/s: Engineering Education, Technology in Higher Education
Qian Huang (Cathy) is a Research Fellow at the Lee Kuan Yew Centre for Innovative Cities (LKYCIC). She is part of the research team for the project titled “How the lightbulb was invented: Sparking creativity with ‘deliberate- learning-from-failure’ interventions”.
Her EdD dissertation is about the impact of studying abroad on engineering students’ employability. She examined how engineering graduates develop resources and capitals to manage their work transition after studying abroad. During her EdD, she had a 6-month visit at the National Institute of Education, Nanyang Technological University, in the area of learners’ engagement in online blended learning and Metaverse learning. She is experienced in systematic literature reviews, semi-structured interviews, and qualitative data analysis using Nvivo and MAXQDA. She has publications in international peer-reviewed journals and presents at various international conferences.
Prior to her academic pursuits, Cathy had served as an executive officer in universities in Shanghai and Hong Kong. After years of administrative work in higher education, she decided to learn more theory knowledge and contribute to research on higher education, especially engineering education and technology in university learning.
- EdD, Faculty of Education, The University of Hong Kong
- MSc in International Business, The University of Nottingham
- BA in English Language and Literature, Shanghai International Studies University
- Wang, Qiyun & Huang, Qian. (under review). Strategies for engaging online students in blended synchronous learning: A systematic literature review
- Huang, Qian. & Jung, Jisun. (under review). University-to-work transition among engineering students in China–US double degree programmes: A bourdieusian perspective
- Lan, Min. & Huang, Qian. (under review). Investigating learners’ digital learning pathway preferences from the justifications of resources, self-regulated learning, and social presence
- Huang, Qian. & Jung, Jisun. (in press, 2023). Employability of Chinese doctoral engineering students after studying in the US, China Quarterly
- Huang, Qian. & Xie, Xiujuan. (in press, 2023). Internationalization of higher education in Hong Kong: Opportunities and challenges in Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macau Greater Bay Area, in Internationalization of Higher Education from Asian Perspectives: Insights into Policies, Practices and Prospects (Book Chapter)
- Xie, Xiujuan, Huang, Qian. & Jung, Jisun. (2022). Higher education and regional development of Shenzhen municipality in China’s greater bay area, International Journal of Chinese Education, online Sep 15, 2022
- Xie, Ailei., Postiglione, Postiglione. & Huang, Qian. (2021). The Greater Bay Area (GBA) Development Strategy and Its Relevance to Higher Education, ECNU Review of Education, 4(1)
- Huang, Qian. & Jung, Jisun.(2020). Development of strategies for internationalizing Chinese Higher vocational education, Journal of Institutional Research South East Asian, Vol 18, No. 1, May/June 2020
- Huang, Qian. & Xie, Xiujuan. (2022). Internationalisation of higher education in Hong Kong: Opportunities and challenges in the Guangdong–Hong Kong–Macao Greater Bay Area, The 8th HERA conference, 27-29 April 2022
- Huang, Qian. (2022). Self-formation of Chinese double-degree engineering students’ work transition based on Bourdieu’s theory, AERA Annual Conference, 21-26 April 2022 (virtual)
- Huang, Qian. (2021). International education still matters: Employability of Chinese elite double-degree engineering students in a Bourdieusian analysis, China and Higher Education 2021 Conference (#ChinaHE21), 6 Dec 2021
- Huang, Qian. (2021). The impact of study abroad experiences on international students’ employability: a preliminary study on Chinese engineering students in US, 7th International Conference on Higher Education Advances, June 22 – 23, 2021
- Huang, Qian. (2020). A review of literature on global competencies required for the 21st century engineers, 2021 Conference of the Comparative Education Society of Hong Kong (CESHK), Hong Kong
- Huang, Qian. (2019). Internationalization strategies of China’s Higher Vocational Institutes in a socialist market economy, The 2nd IAFOR Conference for Higher Education Research – Hong Kong (CHER–HongKong2019), Hong Kong