Postdoctoral Research Fellow
PhD, National University of Singapore,
Dr Md Rashed Bhuyan is a Postdoctoral Research Fellow for the Lee Li Ming Programme in Ageing Urbanism at the Lee Kuan Yew Centre for Innovative Cities, SUTD.
Prior to starting his current position, Bhuyan worked as an architect, researcher and academic in Bangladesh and Singapore. Bhuyan’s research focuses on child-friendly-cities, age-friendly neighbourhoods, intergenerational spaces, urban spatial data analytics, mixed methods research, and contemporary theories in architecture and urbanism. Bhuyan worked in several funded research projects at the National University of Singapore focusing on sustainable high-density towns and community bonding. Bhuyan developed academic courses in architecture including History of Architecture (Europe, 400AD to 1600AD), Building Technology and Computer Graphics; led design studios focused on urban design and housing; and undertook collaborative projects with organizations including the World Bank. As an architect, Bhuyan managed and designed several residential, institutional, and commercial building projects.
- PhD (Architecture), National University of Singapore, Singapore
- M. Sc. (Environmental Management), National University of Singapore, Singapore
- B. Arch. (Professional), Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Bangladesh
- Bhuyan, M. R. (2019) Architecture for special needs: Sensing the needs, in Islam, M. Z. (ed.), Context: Aspirations and Ideas, University Press Limited, Dhaka (In-press).
- Bhuyan, M. R. and Skelton, T. (2014). Planned housing environments and children’s outdoor play: Is child-friendliness possible?, in Lye, Savage, Chou, Yu and Kua (2014), Sustainability Matters: Asia’s Energy Vol. 2, Chapter 8, World Scientific Publishing Company, Singapore (Publishing date: 31 July 2014).
- Bhuyan, M. R. and Ye, Z. (2019). A Mixed Methods Research Strategy to Study Children’s Play and Urban Physical Environments in Dhaka, Journal of Mixed Methods Research, (Accepted for publication in May 2018).
- Bhuyan, Bhuyan, M. R. (2016) Architecture and its Urban Context: Place, Path and People, Context: Design, Architecture, Culture, Contextbd, January.
- Bhuyan, Bhuyan, M. R. (2016b) Accessibility of Children Play Spaces in Dhanmondi: A Syntactic Study, Context: Design, Architecture, Culture, Contextbd, March.
- Bhuyan, M. R. (2018) Rethinking relationship between children’s play and configuration of urban physical environments in Dhaka, Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Green Architecture (ICGrA), 12-15 July 2018, Dhaka.
- Bhuyan, M. R. and Ye, Z. (2014) “Accessibility of Play Spaces in Dhanmondi Residential Area, Dhaka, Bangladesh”, e-proceedings of the Great Asian Streets Symposium (GASS), NUS, Singapore (11-12 December 2014).
- Bhuyan, M. R. and Skelton, T. (2013). “Planned housing environments and children’s outdoor play in Singapore: Enhancing Child Friendliness”, E-proceedings of the SB13 Singapore: Realizing Sustainability in the Tropics, Sands Expo and Convention Centre, Marina Bay Sands, (9-10 September, 2013). PP. 358-365, ISBN: 978-981-07-7377-9. Web link: http://rpsonline.com.sg/rps2prod/sb13/pdf/039.pdf
- Heng C. K., Choo, M. L. L., Naguran, M., Bhuyan, M. R., Pundir, M, B., and Srinivasan, S. (2013). Eco-cities Revisited: Interpreting eco-cities for high density environments in Asia from the dual perspectives of governance and market, Proceedings of the 12th International Congress of Asian Planning Schools Association, National Taiwan University, Taipei.
- Heng C. K., Choo, M. L. L., Naguran, M., Bhuyan, M. R., Pundir, M, B., and Srinivasan, S. (2013). Developing an urban indicator system for assessing sustainability performance of High Density Townships. Proceedings of the 12th International Congress of Asian Planning Schools Association, National Taiwan University, Taipei.