PhD, National University of Singapore,
Urban Studies, Architecture, Environmental Management
Dr Md Rashed Bhuyan is a Research Fellow at the Lee Kuan Yew Centre for Innovative Cities (Lee Li Ming Programme in Ageing Urbanism and SUTD SGP Healthcare), Singapore University of Technology and Design.
Bhuyan is an architect, academic and urban researcher. Bhuyan’s research works contribute in the intersections of design, technology and social wellbeing of people at multiple scales from small products to cities. His current research projects focus on the role of built environment and design in addressing the needs of different age groups in Singapore and other high-density Asian cities. Bhuyan’s areas of research interest include mixed methods research in architecture, design thinking, urban street network analysis, child- and age- friendly urbanism, AI in health and urban interventions and sustainability and social relevance of urban planning and design. Bhuyan has published peer reviewed journal articles, books, book chapters, international conference proceedings, op-eds and web notes in these areas. Academically, Bhuyan conducted design studios on architectural form, function and urban design. He developed theoretical courses in history of architecture (Europe), building technologies and computer graphics and supervised students at undergraduate and post-graduate level. As a registered architectural consultant in Bangladesh, Bhuyan designed residential, institutional and commercial buildings that are sensitive to their contexts and user needs.
Bhuyan is keen on undertaking collaborative projects with national and international research centres, academic institutions and design firms.
- PhD (Architecture), National University of Singapore, Singapore
- M. Sc. (Environmental Management), National University of Singapore, Singapore
- B. Arch. (Professional), Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Bangladesh
- Yuen, B., Bhuyan, M. R., Song, S., Moogoor, A., Yap, W., Mocnik, S. and Chua, R.(2020). Age-Friendly Neighbourhood Planning and Design Guidelines: A Singapore Case Study, World Scientific Publishing, Singapore. (In-press).
- Bhuyan, M. R. (2019). Architecture for special needs: Sensing the needs. In M. Z. Islam & S. Kabir (Eds.), Aspirations and Ideas: Designing with Context. Dhaka: University Press Limited, Dhaka.
- Bhuyan, M. R. & Skelton, T. (2014). Planned housing environments and children’s outdoor play: Is child-friendliness possible? in Lye, Savage, Chou, Yu and Kua (2014), Sustainability Matters: Asia’s Energy Vol. 2, Chapter 8, World Scientific Publishing Company, Singapore.
- Bhuyan, M. R. (forthcoming). Geographies of children’s outdoor play in Dhaka: An explorative study on location preference, usage pattern and accessibility range of play spaces, Children’s Geographies.
- Bhuyan, M. R., Lane, A. P., Moogoor, A., Močnik, Š., & Yuen, B. (2020). Meaning of age-friendly neighbourhood: An exploratory study with older adults and key informants in Singapore. Cities, 107, 102940. doi:10.1016/j.cities.2020.102940.
- Bhuyan, M. R., & Zhang, Y. (2020). Diversity of children's independent mobility in Dhaka. Urbanisation, 4(2). doi: 10.1177/2455747119889915
- Bhuyan, M. R., & Zhang, Y. (2019). A mixed methods research strategy to study children’s play and urban physical environments in Dhaka. Journal of Mixed Methods Research. 14(2), 358-378. doi:10.1177/1558689819871820
- Bhuyan, M. R. (2016a). Architecture and its Urban Context: Place, Path and People, Context: Design, Architecture, Culture, Contextbd, January 2016.
- Bhuyan, M. R. (2016b). Accessibility of Children Play Spaces in Dhanmondi: A Syntactic Study, Context: Design, Architecture, Culture, Contextbd, March 2016.
Conference Proceedings and Presentations (Selected)
- Bhuyan, M. R. (2018, Jul). Rethinking relationship between children’s play and configuration of urban physical environments in Dhaka, 2nd International Conference on Green architecture (ICGrA), Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Bhuyan, M. R. and Zhang, Y. (2014, Dec). “Accessibility of Play Spaces in Dhanmondi Residential Area, Dhaka, Bangladesh”, E-proceedings of the Great Asian Streets Symposium (GASS), National University of Singapore, Singapore.
- Bhuyan, M. R. and Skelton, T. (2013, Sep). “Planned housing environments and children’s outdoor play in Singapore: Enhancing Child Friendliness”, E-proceedings of the SB13 Singapore: Realizing Sustainability in the Tropics, Sands Expo and Convention Centre, Marina Bay Sands. PP. 358-365, ISBN: 978-981-07-7377-9.
- Heng C. K., Choo, M. L. L., Naguran, M., Bhuyan, M. R., Pundir, M, B., and Srinivasan, S. (2013, Nov). Eco-cities Revisited: Interpreting eco-cities for high density environments in Asia from the dual perspectives of governance and market, Proceedings of the 12th International Congress of Asian Planning Schools Association, National Taiwan University, Taipei.
- Heng C. K., Choo, M. L. L., Naguran, M., Bhuyan, M. R., Pundir, M, B., and Srinivasan, S. (2013, Nov). Developing an urban indicator system for assessing sustainability performance of High-Density Townships. Proceedings of the 12th International Congress of Asian Planning Schools Association, National Taiwan University, Taipei.