PhD, University of Southern California, USA
Urban Planning, Human Geography
Dr Hou Yuting, Ph.D., is interested in research on evolutions of metropolitan spatial structure, transportation and economic development, land use and accessibility, and spatial analysis. Her dissertation, titled “Essays on Congestion, Agglomeration and Urban Spatial Structure,” empirically test an old theme in urban economics: Whether and to what extent traffic congestion offsets accessibility and agglomeration benefits in determining the intra-urban geography of business and residents. Her current research involves examination of polycentric urban form and its evolutions, the relationships between accessibility and commuting equity, and the application of real-time data in transportation system analysis and city growth.
She was a transportation modeller (intern) at the Southern California Association of Governments (SCAG). The work focused on the relationships among built environment, promotion of active transportation, health behaviour, as well as the model validation for the Regional Travel Demand Model.
She received her Master’s in Human Geography from Peking University (CHINA) and PhD in Policy, Planning, and Development from the USC Price School of Public Policy (USA).
- PhD, Policy, Planning, and Development, University of Southern California, USA
- Graduate Certificate, Geographic Information Science and Technology (GIST), University of Southern California, USA
- MS, Human Geography, Peking University, CHINA
- BE, Land Management and Land Information Technology, Wuhan University, CHINA
- Hou, Y., Yap, W., Chua, R., Song, S., & Yuen, B. (forthcoming). The associations between older adults’ daily travel pattern and objective and perceived built environment: A study of three neighbourhoods in Singapore. Transport Policy (2020).
- Song, S., Yap, W., Hou, Y., & Yuen, B. (2020). Neighbourhood Built Environment, physical activity, and physical health among older adults in Singapore: A simultaneous equations approach. Journal of Transport and Health 18.
- Lane, A.P., Hou, Y., Wong, C.H, & Yuen, B. (2020). Cross-sectional associations of neighborhood third places with social health among community-dwelling older adults. Social Science & Medicine 258.
- Hou, Y. (2019). Polycentric urban form and non-work travel in Singapore: A focus on seniors. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment 73: 245-275.
- Hou, Y., Moogoor, A. (2019). Spatial analysis of older adults’ travel behaviour in Singapore in A Lane (Ed.) Urban Environments for Healthy Ageing: A Global Perspective. Routledge.
- Hou, Y. (2018). Why reducing urban traffic congestion can help the American middle class, USAPP– American Politics and Policy (blog). London School of Economics (LSE) USCentre.
- Hou, Y. (2017). Traffic congestion, accessibility to employment, and housing prices: A study of single-family housing market in Los Angeles County. Urban Studies 54, no. 15 (2017): 3423-3445.
- Boarnet, M.G., Giuliano, G., Hou, Y., & Shin, E.J. (2017). First/last mile transit access as an equity planning issue. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice 103 (2017): 296-310.
- Hou, Y. (2016). Traffic Congestion, Polycentricity, and Intrametropolitan Firm Location Choices—A Nested Logit Model for the Los Angeles Metropolitan Area. Journal of Regional Science 56, no. 4 (2016): 683–716.
- Feng, C., & Hou, Y. (2007). The Application of Principal Component Analysis Method in Urban Land Evaluation. Natural Resource Economics of China, (7): 27-31; 2007. (In Chinese)
- Hu, S., Liu, Y., & Hou, Y. (2006). The study of the allocation of land price monitoring points based on the Digital Land Price Model in Jiang, Dong and Guan, Wenrong (Eds.) Collection of Urban land price survey and dynamic monitoring (ISBN：7800978583), Beijing, China Land Press, 182-189; 2006. (In Chinese)
- Hou, Y. (2018, Oct). Understanding the built environment-travel behaviour relationship in real-time from lifelogging images-A study of older adults in three neighbourhoods in Singapore. 58th Annual Meeting of the Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning (ACSP), New York, USA.
- Hou, Y. (2018, Feb). The Intra-Urban Spatial Interactions among Employment Centers: Evidence from commuting patterns in the Los Angeles metropolitan area. 57th Annual Meeting of the Western Regional Science Association, Pasadena, California, USA.
- Hou, Y. (2017, Oct). Spatial Analysis of Older Adults’ Travel Behaviour in Singapore: Results from the 2012 Household Interview Travel Survey. International Ageing Urbanism Colloquium, Singapore.
- Hou, Y. (2015, Feb). Traffic congestion, accessibility to employment, and housing prices—A study of single-family housing market in Los Angeles County. 54th Annual Meeting of the Western Regional Science Association, Tucson, Arizona, USA.
- Hou, Y. (2014, Oct). Traffic congestion, polycentricity, and intrametropolitan firm location choices—A study of the Los Angeles metropolitan area. 54th Annual Meeting of Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning (ACSP), Philadelphia, USA.
- Hou, Y. (2012, Nov). An examination of spatial structure and labour productivity in the manufacturing sector of U.S. cities. 53rd Annual Meeting of Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning (ACSP), Cincinnati, Ohio, USA.